This recipe is great for brunches, get-togethers, or lazy weekends. Light prep work the night before allows you to present a polished dish that only looks like you spent hours getting it ready. It’s a classic french toast with an elegant twist.
- 8 slices bread, day-old bread works best
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 cups maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 4 bananas, ripe but not brown
- Hazelnut spread, if desired
- Chopped hazelnuts, if desired
The night before
- Lightly grease a large casserole dish and arrange bread slices evenly on bottom.
- Gently whisk eggs, milk, and ½ cup maple syrup. Evenly pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
In the morning
- Heat oven to 350°. Bake bread slices, uncovered, for 30 –35 minutes. The edges should be a golden brown.
- In a small saucepan, heat remaining maple syrup stirring constantly until warm. Add rum extract.
- Slice bananas length-wise and place on top of toast slices. Top with chopped hazelnuts and spread, if desired. Drizzle syrup and enjoy.