As if cheesecake wasn’t delicious already, this recipe brings in Mexican chocolate and bits of pecan to add unique flavor to an elegant dessert.
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ⅓ cup plus 4 teaspoons coffee-flavored liqueur (such as Kahlúa)
- 1 1-pound loaf bakery egg bread with raisins, heels removed, sliced, or 1 loaf store-bought
sliced raisin bread
- ¼ cup hot water
- 8 ounces Mexican chocolate (such as Ibarra), chopped
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 cups Mexican crema or whipped cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup pecan pieces
- Butter for dishes
- 2 1-pint containers strawberries, hulled, sliced
- ½ cup coffee-flavored liqueur (such as Kahlúa)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 cup Mexican crema or whipped cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place raisins in small bowl. Pour 1/3 cup liqueur over. Let stand 1 hour or overnight. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place bread slices on baking sheets and toast until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Crumble bread into bowl (yield should be about 4 cups).
- Combine 4 teaspoons liqueur and 1/4 cup hot water in top of double boiler set over simmering
water. Add chocolate and simmer until melted, stirring frequently. Cool slightly.
- Whisk eggs and sugar to blend in large bowl. Whisk in crema, vanilla, and cinnamon. Stir in melted chocolate mixture. Add crumbled bread and raisin mixture and mix well. Stir in pecans.
- Cover and refrigerate until bread absorbs custard, about 2 hours.
- Butter ten 2/3-cup custard cups or soufflé dishes. Divide pudding mixture among cups. Place cups in large roasting pan. Add enough hot water to come halfway up sides of cups. Bake until puddings are set and puffed in center, about 40 minutes. Remove cups from water bath. Let come to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate until cold. (Can be prepared up to 3 days ahead.)
- Combine strawberries, liqueur, and mint in large bowl.
- Mix crema with vanilla in small bowl. Bring puddings to room temperature. Run knife around edges of puddings. Unmold puddings onto dessert plates. Spoon strawberries over. Drizzle with vanilla crema.
Enjoy with coffee, tea, milk, hot chocolate, or juice. Serves: 10