If you’re looking for a new soup recipe, we’ve got a delicious one that your whole family will love. It combines the smoky flavor of bacon with the unique flavor of rosemary to make an ordinary soup extraordinary.
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 4 bacon slices, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium leek (white and pale green parts only), sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 14.5-ounce cans low-salt chicken broth (or less for a thicker soup)
- 1.5 cups green split peas, rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried, crumbled
Sauté bacon in a heavy large pot over medium-high heat until crisp and brown. Add onion, leek, carrot, and garlic and sauté until vegetables begin to soften, about 6 minutes. Add broth, peas, bay leaves, and rosemary and bring soup to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until peas are tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour. Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with bacon or garnish of your choice.