Laundry may not be your favorite chore, but it is something that everyone needs to do. Plus it’s one of those things that can quickly pile up into a mountain of a mess that no one wants to claim. You probably end up putting it off until you absolutely have to do it. We have some tips that can help you save time and possibly even make the whole chore more enjoyable. Yes, that’s a tall order, but someone needs to be king of the mountain.
- Organize the laundry room. No one likes to work in a space where you can’t find what you need quickly and easily. While you are organizing, it’s a great time to add some colorful storage, a fresh paint color, curtains or pictures to brighten up the space. Anything you can do to help the space be visually appealing is a step in the right direction.
- Sort laundry as you go through the week, not all at once. It’s very easy to have a light bin and a dark bin that allows you to pre-sort your laundry. This is a great way to save a step. Even young children can help you save time by sorting their laundry into dark and light bins.
- Think of a system that will work for you. Devote some time to thinking about how the laundry will ideally work for you and your family. Communicate your system to everyone in the house so that they can help maintain it. Enlist help whenever possible because someday your kids will have to do their own laundry.
- Uniforms go in the laundry room. If you have kids on sports teams, you know how frustrating it can be trying to find all the parts of the uniform before the game. Have kids put their uniforms in the laundry room, and teach them how to pre-treat the stains. Even once the uniforms are clean, keep them in the laundry room. This way you only have one place to look for all those different parts.
- Ditch a step or two whenever you can. Look for detergents that contain a fabric softener, so you only have to measure once. Pods are becoming more popular and can also help keep your laundry space free from drips and spills that become dirt magnets. Just make sure you keep your laundry pods in their original containers and up away from small children. Several appliance manufacturers are also adding detergent dispensers that allow you to put a whole bottle of detergent into the machine to be automatically dispersed with each load.
- Get the appliance features that matter to you. The delay option on some appliances allows you to delay the start of a cycle so that you can take advantage of low energy cost times or so that clean clothes don’t sit in the washer wet all night. Other appliances have smart features that allow you to monitor the cycles remotely. Some have wrinkle-free features or a quick cycle feature for last-minute needs.
Since you have to do laundry, you might as well find ways to help the process run smoothly. If you find that you need a new washer or dryer to do that, Friedman’s is here to help. Our knowledgeable staff can help you find exactly what you need for your laundry room and your budget. Now, go conquer that mountain!